Juliet Bidwell celebrates this flavoursome meat with heartwarming and tasty recipes.
- Makes: 4 portions
- Cook time:
600g rump of lamb (top of the leg)
2tbsp thyme – chopped
½ tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
- Green sauce:
2 handfuls of basil leaves
1 handful of mint leaves
1 large clove of garlic – peeled
1tsp Dijon mustard
150ml olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Score the lamb's fat and rub the meat with thyme, olive oil, salt & pepper. The meat can be left to marinade for up to 24 hours.
- Roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Make the green sauce by putting all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a blender.
- Blend until finely chopped and then pour in the olive oil with the motor still running. (If the sauce is too thick, add a little more oil.)
- Season with salt & pepper.
Cook's tip:I like to serve the lamb with roasted autumn vegetables, such as aubergines, peppers, courgettes, beetroot and sweet potato. The green sauce is also delicious with salmon and chicken.
- photographs David Merewether
- recipes Juliet Bidwell