Delicious and succulent, British lamb is in season from June until December. Juliet Bidwell celebrates this flavoursome meat with heartwarming and tasty recipes.
Six generous portions
- 1kg leg of lamb – diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions – chopped
- 6 garlic cloves – chopped
- 3 small red chillies – sliced
- 1 thumb of ginger – grated
- 1 bunch of coriander, with the stalks – chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 400ml boiling water
- 100g apricots – chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Sauté the onions in a little olive oil in a small frying pan till soft.
- Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, coriander stalks, cumin, coriander and turmeric, cook for a couple of minutes and then place in a casserole dish.
- Season the lamb with salt & pepper, then sear in the frying pan, a few pieces at a time, and add to the casserole.
- When all the meat has been browned, add the tinned tomatoes, stock cube and water to the frying pan and de-glaze and then add with the apricots to the casserole and cook for approximately 1½ hours or until tender.
- Serve with chopped coriander, sprinkled over the top.
- Season well with salt & pepper.
Cook's tip: I suggest serving jewelled couscous with currants, pine nuts, pomegranate, chopped flat leaf parsley and a little olive oil.
- photographs David Merewether
- recipes Juliet Bidwell