Nicki Trench's recipes for homemade, old-fashioned sweetie treats are perfect as presents or make them with the kids and keep them for yourselves...
These traditional crunchy bites have the magical ingredient of a hint of orange and will be a hit with family and friends of any age; they are also quick and easy and are an instant crowd pleaser. The almonds have to be baked first in the oven – take care not to forget about them or the mixture will taste burnt.
- 200 g (7 oz) whole almonds, blanched
- 450 g (14 oz) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 100 g (3½ oz) flaked almonds
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Spread the whole almonds in a 23 cm (9 in) square baking tin, lined with baking parchment. Gently roast in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until they are light golden. Set aside.
- Put the sugar and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan and heat over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved and reaches the soft-crack stage, 132°C (270°F) on a sugar thermometer, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and stir in the flaked almonds and orange zest.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the baking tin and flatten slightly with a metal spoon. Leave to cool.
- When the brittle is completely solid, turn it out onto a work surface or chopping board and break it up into shards using a small hammer or rolling pin. Store in an airtight container.
Sweet Temptation by Nicki Trench is published by Cico Books and is available, for £9.99 hardback, from all good bookshops.
- words Nicki Trench
- photos David Merewether