Honey & vanilla roasted figs with coconut kisses
For the coconut kisses:
4 egg whites
230g caster sugar
60g desiccated coconut
150ml double cream, whipped
For the roasted figs:
1/2 vanilla pod
For the coconut kisses
- Pre-heat oven to 120°C. Start by making the meringues and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean and dry bowl until stiff and keep whisking as you add the sugar, a dessertspoon at a time, and the mixture will become quite stiff. Stir in the desiccated coconut and spoon or pipe the mixture onto the trays to make 16 halves.
- Bake for 1½ hours, turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool. Sandwich the meringues together with the whipped cream.
For the roasted figs
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Cut a cross in the top of each fig and place them in an ovenproof dish. Slice the vanilla pod into 8 julienne pieces and put one in each fig. Spoon the honey over the figs and pour the water in the dish.
- Bake for 7 minutes and leave to cool.
Photographs: David Merewether
Recipes: Juliet Bidwell