Griddled aubergine, pesto & mozzarella with puy lentils, chard & baked beetroot
2 large aubergines
5tbsp olive oil
250g mozzarella, sliced
30g pine nuts, toasted salt & pepper
140g puy lentils
1tsp vegetable stock granules
200g chard or spinach
100g soya beans
2tbsp grainy mustard dressing
3 beetroots, washed
1tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Preheat a griddle pan. Cut the aubergines into rounds 1cm thick and brush the slices with olive oil. Griddle on both sides until cooked.
- Spread half a teaspoon of pesto and a slice of mozzarella on 3 aubergine rounds and stack on top of each other. Place the stacks on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly hot. Serve two stacks per person sprinkled with pine nuts.
- Cut the beetroot into wedges, place in a roasting tin and drizzle olive oil over and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked. Cook the puy lentils as per pack instructions with water and the vegetable stock and simmer for 20 mins or until just cooked.
- Boil the chard and soya beans separately.
- Mix the puy lentils, chard and soya beans and stir through the grainy mustard dressing. Season, if necessary.
Photographs: David Merewether
Recipes: Juliet Bidwell