Easter Tree Kit, £22, (on tree: Easter moss nests, £3 each, coloured speckled eggs, £1 each), Speckled Egg & Feather Wreath (top right), £12, all The Seasonal Barn; handpainted 'Egg Hunt This Way' sign (top left), £15, Say it with Sam
Easter cupcakes & Lemon curd cupcakes
Makes 12 basic (fairy cake size)
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Then for lemon curd cupcakes add:
- 1 jar lemon curd
- Or for homemade lemon curd:
- 4 medium sized eggs - use 2 whole, 2 yolk only
- 3 lemons - juice and grated zest (optional)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C (Gas 4). Place cake cases into cupcake tin.
- Using an electric whisk beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs - add a little flour towards the end of this if it looks like the mixture might curdle.
- Fold in the flour and vanilla essence, then spoon equally into 12 cake cases. Bake for approx. 15 mins.
- Once you've made the basic cakes (double/triple the above ingredients as necessary), use them to make the sheep or curd cupcakes (following recipes).
Lemon curd cupcakes, use the basic recipe above then:
- (If using a jar of lemon curd- go to step 2.) Gentle cooking is the key here, or you will end up with lemon flavoured scrambled egg (a delicacy in its own right, perhaps). Use a bowl over a simmering pan of water to ensure that the ingredients cook evenly and slowly. Melt the butter and sugar together first and then combine the other ingredients carefully and keep stirring briskly (I use a wooden spoon) until the mixture starts to thicken. This happens gradually. It is ready when the curd will no longer easily drip off the spoon. Store in sterilised jars. Makes around 1lb.
- Carefully slice the tops off the cupcakes (so that they fit neatly back on the top) and scoop out a teaspoon-sized hole in each.
- Fill the hole with lemon curd, place the tops back on the cakes and decorate as you wish – I used rice paper flowers and a drizzle of lemon icing.
- recipes Jo Arnell
- pictures David Merewether
To see more of Jo's seasonal cakes and recipes, visit www.hornbrookmanor.co.uk and search under 'Seasonal Tips and Recipes'