Caroline Cowan from Brick House Farm now owns The Woolpack Hotel in Tenterden. She's a great cook and hostess so we asked her to puts together some mouthwatering morsels to kick start the winter party season with a culinary bang...
- serves 24
- preparation time 30 mins
- cooking time 40 mins
- 2 sheets of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry - or better still make your own
- 30g unsalted butter
- 750g red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- thyme sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Using a 5cm round cutter, cut out 24 circles of pastry. Place in a mini canapé tin in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Slice onions, either by hand or in a food processor. Place in a baking tray along with the sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and thyme. Season and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Spoon the onions into the pastry shells, garnish with sprigs of thyme and serve warm.
- recipes Caroline Cowan
- pictures David Merewether