I cook this quick & tasty dish in a frying pan.
- Serves 4
- 450g lamb's liver, slice & remove any tubes
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2tsp plain flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme or dried mixed herbs
- 500ml lamb stock, hot
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Sauté the chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of oil till soft and slightly caramelised and add the garlic. Sauté for another minute.
- Remove the onion and garlic to a dish at the side
- Next cook the lardons and then add to the onion and garlic.
- Cook the mushrooms with the thyme and remove to the onions.
- Toss the liver in the seasoned flour.
- Add extra oil to the pan, if needed, and sauté a small amount of the liver at a time on a high heat – and very quickly – to seal in the juices. Remove and add to the onion.
- Return the onion, garlic, lardons, mushrooms and liver to the pan, pour in the lamb stock and bring up to a simmer, stirring for a minute or two.
- To serve: I like to serve this dish with either rice or a grainy mustard mash with broccoli.
Juliet Bidwell's company, Juliet's Catering, creates innovative, individually designed menus
for a variety of social events from weddings and balls to dinner and drinks parties.
To find out more, visit www.julietbidwell.com or call 01797 270347.
- Photographs David Merewether
- Recipes Juliet Bidwell