Cake-baker extraordinaire and creator of Cocolicious cake company, Lucinda Hamilton, shares her deliciously different recipes for the perfect afternoon tea
Makes 12 muffin-sized cakes
- 125g ground almonds
- 75g self-raising flour
- 175g unsalted butter
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 4 medium sized eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in flour and almonds. Add eggs and vanilla essence bit by bit and making sure it is well incorporated before adding the next bit (best done with food processor or mixer). If the mixture is looking like it is curdling, add a spoonful of the flour and scrape down the sides.
- Add the rest of the flour and almonds and mix gently until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide equally into the muffin tin and scatter with the flaked almonds. Bake for 20 minutes until cooked and turn out onto wire rack and cool.
- Cut in half just before serving and fill with crème Chantilly (whipped cream mixed with icing sugar and vanilla essence) or lemon curd mixed with mascarpone in equal quantities, and some fresh raspberries or strawberries.
- Dust with icing sugar.
You can order a batch of Cocolicious’ special cookies, and lots of other delicious cakey treats directly from Loulou by emailing email@example.com
- recipes Lucinda Hamilton
- pictures David Merewether