Cake-baker extraordinaire and creator of Cocolicious cake company, Lucinda Hamilton, shares her deliciously different recipes for the perfect afternoon tea
- 170g golden syrup
- 170g honey
- 170g brown sugar
- 350ml milk
- 250g plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 125g cold unsalted butter chopped
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and place the golden syrup, honey, brown sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Mix flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, coffee and butter in a bowl and crumb until it resembles fine breadcrumbs (can be done in the bowl of a food processor too, pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs).
- Pour in the golden syrup mixture and mix until all well combined. Add the egg and mix until smooth consistency. The mixture will be runnier than usual cake batter.
- Pour into well greased and floured cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked and tested with a skewer.
- Cool in tin then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
You can order a batch of Cocolicious’ special cookies, and lots of other delicious cakey treats directly from Loulou by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- recipes Lucinda Hamilton
- pictures David Merewether