- 1/2 bottle of red wine
- small bouquet garni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pigeon breasts
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- knob of butter
- Combine the first four ingredients to create a marinade
- Halve breasts to create thin escalopes and hammer flat.
- Steep pigeon in marinade for around eight hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and strain the liquid into a pan.
- Heat griddle whilst reducing marinade by three quarters.
- Sear pigeon for 30 seconds per side on griddle and serve.
- Whisk butter and redcurrant jelly into the reduction and drizzle over griddled pigeon.
Cook's tip: This dish comes into its own served on a bed of luxurious mash folded through with black pudding.
- recipes Michael White
- pictures David Merewether