- 20 garden snails (Helix aspersa)
- 3/4 block of butter
- 1 handful of common sorrel chopped roughly
- Purge snails on carrot or lettuce for four days, then starve for 48 hours.
- Drop snails into briskly boiling, lightly salted water, return to boil and cook for five minutes.
- Strain and cool snails, remove meat from shells with a cocktail stick.
- Put snails in a sieve, sprinkle with salt, agitate for two minutes and then rinse thoroughly to clean them off.
- Heat butter, add sorrel and allow it to wilt. Add snails, warm through and season.
- Serve in a ramekin with fresh sorrel to garnish.
Cook's tip: This is a French style recipe so naturally serve with a crusty baguette.
- recipes Michael White
- pictures David Merewether