This is a warm and smoky dish, ideal on a cold winter's night served with a comforting dollop of mashed potato (although if you're on a diet, the butter beans will almost do the trick) and a crisp green salad.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper (or any colour really), sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g chorizo sliced into bite-sized chunks
- 250g butter beans/haricots or a mix
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 100ml red wine (optional)
- 1 chicken stock cube (again optional, but it rounds out and enriches the sauce)
- pinch of mixed herbs
- Gently sauté the onion in a heavy-based, or deep frying pan for 3/4 mins until it starts to soften, then add the pepper and garlic.
- After another 5 mins add the other ingredients and either simmer gently on the hob for 20-30 mins, or put in the oven on a low to medium setting for a similar amount of time.
Words, pictures and recipes Jo Arnell